Saturday, November 3, 2007

Ryan Shay

I was in the running store this morning, where they had the US Marathon Olympic trials on tv, and as we were watching, the announcer on tv mentioned how odd it was Ryan Shay stepped off the course after 5.5 miles. I didn't stick around to watch what happened, because I had my own run to do, but when I got back home from my run, I find out the poor guy died. How does this happen? I don't understand why people in apparent perfect health just drop dead during these races. What the hell? What a goddamn tragedy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The autopsy will probably find that he was on some sort of steroids...but a tragedy nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

i was just reading that he had a large heart, and doctors told him when he was in high school that he'd probably need a pacemaker when he got older. but, still. seems like it would have to be something more than that - he'd only gone a few miles.

so sad.