Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Fear of Flying

Can anyone tell me: is it absolutely necessary after some turbulence to drop a plane like a hot potato 5,000 ft within 1.5 seconds, and then make the announcement that we will now be flying at this lower altitude because the "flight began to disintegrate at 30,000 ft"?! Disintegrate?!

Since when did "disintegrate" replace "encounter turbulence"?

Don't all you pilots out there know better than to use those kind of words, especially after a major plummet?!!

It really doesn't help the blase/seasoned frequent flyer like myself (your bread and butter, dear sir or madam) who only half listens to announcements, and only then when there's fire, to hear "wawawahwahhhwa....DISINTEGRATE...wahaa" Whoa there! THE PLANE IS DISINTEGRATING?!

Maybe you're just testing us, to see if we're paying attention. Well, it worked. I failed.

Plus I nearly wet my pants.

Plus I totally embarrassed myself by asking the sweet old man next to me if the pilot really said the plane was disintegrating, at which point I noticed (too late) that he was wearing a hearing aid (but he still heard me), at which point he then turned to his wife on the other side and shouted (remember he is wearing a hearing aid) with glee that "this young lady thinks the plane is going to crash. Isn't that a riot!?"

Great. My cover as the seasoned-traveler-always-in-a-big-hurry-to-get-somewhere-important is now completely blown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad that you are still with us. Disintegrating planes...yikes. Don't know about that bbq, looks pretty scary. Can't wait to see you in the deep south again. It's right around the corner.....