Thursday, March 15, 2007

What's the craziest thing you've ever done?

Something like signing up for marathon training when the furthest you've ever run is 4.5 miles, maybe? That'd be the craziest thing I've ever done for sure.

But on their website they say if you can run, walk, or crawl at least 3 miles, then this is the training program for you. Plus I've read many good things about Pfit. Now, the disclaimer: I don't intend to run a marathon this year. My goal is to run a half marathon sometime late summer/early fall, but train as if I'm running the Portland marathon in October. The purpose of signing up for this is that I need to make some friends out here, and what better way than to share the pain? Along with the added bonus of becoming a better runner.

I may sign up for this race in the Redwoods in October, since I went camping in that park last summer and didn't get to fully appreciate the grandeur due to annoying circumstances beyond my control. Holy smokes, that place is beautiful. And I rode my bike through much of the route when I was there, and let me tell you, it'll be a really really sweet running route- think shaded canopy of majestic, ancient, and HUGE redwoods. I'd take that over city streets any day.

So, I'm still moving stuff over to the new place, and getting excited (like girls will do) over silly things like what color curtains to hang in the kitchen, and not so silly things like how the hell am I going to fit all my small kitchen appliances in this tiny-ass kitchen? Erin, I promise, pictures are coming- I will probably need much advice from you about storage solutions (to those who don't know Erin- she's the maven of gettin-it-all-to-fit). During my usual coffee/morning internet perusal I stumbled across this fun site that has some nifty ideas for 'hacking' Ikea stuff, and making smaller places as efficient as possible. By the way, Portland is getting one in June...Eeeeeeeeee!!!!!! I hate to admit it, but I kinda like Ikea's stuff. Not so much for the style (I typically prefer the mexican flea market hodge-podge look), but for the inexpensive, sturdy functional pieces like shelves and cabinets. I hate their couches, but I'll probably have the coffee table I bought there for many many years (it has cubbyholes!). Has anyone else noticed how sucky their website is? It's impossible to navigate! Do you think that's a Dutch thing? It is about as comfortable to navigate as the stores themselves are, which are designed so that you cannot leave until you've walked through the entire store. They make the exits intentionally difficult to find, which I have a bit of a problem with, but I'll forgive them because their products are affordable, and they're pretty conscientious of sustainable methods of production.

Anyway, I must flee. Thanks for stoppin by!

No comments: